The Fit Life, LLC

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Recipe Post: Cauliflower and Cashew Fritters

I think this is my new favorite recipe! Healthy and delicious--and not too difficult. You do need a decent blender and a food processor.

This recipe came from Vegetarian Times. I will tell you the spots where I tweaked it to my liking.



Cauliflower-Cashew Fritters with Red Pepper Cashew Cream Sauce

Serves 6
30 minutes or fewer
Ground cashews help hold together these oven-baked cauliflower fritters.
Fritters
  • 2 cups 1-inch cauliflower florets
  • 2 large eggs
  • ½ cup roasted and salted cashews (I used low-salt cashews from Trader Joe's)
  • ½ cup Italian parsley leaves
  • ¼ cup diced red bell pepper (I've done it with both red and green peppers--either work)
  • 2 Tbs. corn flour (I didn't have corn flour, so I used garbanzo/fava bean flour)
  • 1 Tbs. capers (I did not put capers in it, and they still tasted great)
  • 1½ tsp. seafood seasoning, such as Old Bay
Sauce
  • 1½ cups Cashew Cream. (I tend to just wing it on my cashew cream sauce. I soak my raw cashews (Trader Joe's) for at least a few hours. Drain them. Rinse them. Then I just toss them in the Vitamix with some unsweetened almond milk until I like the thickness). 
  • ½ cup jarred roasted red pepper, rinsed, drained, and diced ( I used more--close to a full jar)
  • 2 Tbs. lemon juice
  • 1 Tbs. capers, rinsed and drained (Again, I didn't use capers)
I also added some red pepper flakes to the sauce because I like it to have a little kick. The first time I made it I also added a garlic clove. This time I did not. I liked it both ways). 
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Line large baking sheet with parchment paper, and spray with cooking spray.
2. To make Fritters: Combine all ingredients in food processor, and pulse until ingredients are well-combined and no large chunks remain.
3. Use 1-oz. scoop or 2-Tbs. coffee measurer to portion Fritters onto prepared baking sheet. Lightly press down on each Fritter to flatten. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, flip with spatula, and bake 3 to 5 minutes more, or until browned on both sides.
4. To make Sauce: blend all ingredients in blender until smooth.
If you just can't get into the fritters, you must at least try the sauce! It's so delicious! I used some leftover sauce over Mung Bean pasta. It was fantastic!




No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I am the owner of The Fit Life, LLC. The Fit Life, LLC offers fitness instruction and nutrition counseling in a holistic way. I focus on personal training using mainly your own body strength--very little equipment. I also hold a certification in holistic nutrition. Because nutrition counseling regulations are very strict in Ohio, I'm still working on what nutrition services I can provide to my clients; however, I'm happy to provide general nutrition information. I enjoy teaching TRX, Indoor Cycling, and Boot Camps.

Followers